Commonwealth Preservation Group

Clark & Co. Plug Tobacco Warehouse, Bedford, VA

Clark & Co. Before

Clark & Co. Before

Clark & Co. After

Clark & Co. After

The c1907 Clark & Co. Plug Tobacco Warehouse is a contributing resources to the Bedford Historic District in Bedford, Virginia. The three-story, ten-bay warehouse exhibits characteristics typical of turn of the century industrial warehouses, featuring alterations spanning from 1907 until 1948 which reflect the continued industrial use of the building. As the name suggests, the warehouse was originally used for receiving and hanging tobacco.

As a result of the historic tax credit project, the building’s historically open layout was divided to accommodate residential units while the historic and character-defining features of the warehouse were retained. This included original concrete and wooden floors, as well as the remaining salvageable windows, which were repaired and replicated for the other openings. In order to preserve the developmental history of the building, two additions  were also restored and converted into apartment units.

The images in this post illustrate the alterations to the exterior of the building, which included mortar repointing, recladding of the corrugated metal-sided addition, and retention of the historic painted sign.

Comments are closed.